Sunday, September 27, 2009

I am so proud of Yukon and Hubby

Hubby decided to finally go to the dog club to start getting trained with Yukon. I begged so many times to come with me and he finally decided to listen. Yukon himself decided to trust him, he even chased and played with him at the dog park. It was so much fun watching the two of them and to see that he completely opened up to my husband. He even barked while they were playing and believe me it is a very rare thing to hear any noise at all.

So yeah, we went to the Schutzhund Club and I was surprised to see THAT many people out there. Usually it is about 5 people and their dogs but yesterday there were more than 10 dog handlers out there which is pretty unusual so I decided to wait until they were done with the group training. I knew it'd be too much for him to walk in that group.

Photobucket

After they were done I decided to go in there to show hubby how to handle Yukon the right way. "He's walking on your left side, take the leash in the right hand and hold the stick mozarella cheese in your left hand so he can smell it. Whenever he looks at you and makes eye contact you have to acknowledge him immediately!"
It is the only thing that gets him going. He's crazy about that cheese and he only gets it when we are at the dog club.
So I watched hubby handling Yukon and my trainer came over to check on us. We both had a good chuckle. They looked so cute together. "He has to walk faster" my trainer said and I knew she was right. "Hon, you got to walk faster, you are to slow."
I don't know why that is but once he's off duty he's literally walking in slow-motion and sometimes it makes me crazy, however in "Unterordnung" you have to have a certain speed.
"Why don't you show me first?" Hubby asked.
So I took Yukon and showed him how to do it.
"Fuß" and OH MY GOD, we looked like professionals like we did it for years already. Yukon was so great that my trainer said "Well... you guys don't need me anymore, huh?"
I was so proud that I got him to the point where he barely needs the treats anymore. He looked up to me, paid full attention and got everything the right way. It was amazing.
"So you want to try it again?" I asked hubby and he took over Yukon.
"Grab his attention hunny, don't let him focus on me. Walk faster, that's right... NOW acknowledge him, give him the cheese and play with him."

Hubby did great. He managed to get Yukons attention. A month ago he couldn't even get Yukon away from me and now he walked heel. He still didn't manage to get right speed but hey you can't have it all the first day, right?
Anyhow, I told my trainer that I still need her because four eyes see more than two plus I am not a professional trainer like she is, so she may actually see stuff that I can't. It's those little things that make a huge difference.

About 10 minutes later we decided that it was enough for hubby.
Babysteps, Babysteps, Babysteps!

"You don't need my help, do you?" Alex, the trainer asked. "Ten minutes of basic obedience should be enough to get him back on track. We are going to build up the parcour so don't do to much."

Photobucket


So I did a little bit of obedience and did the agility afterwards. He got so much better. He overall is doing so much better. The only thing that he seems to not get over with is when I am out with my neighbors. You would think he'd trust them by now but that first day left such a deep impression that he's still under shock. It's kind of sad but it will take time to get him to the point where he's completely socialized. Still I am positive that he'll get there. He got so far in just three months that I myself am amazed that he's doing such a great progress.

2 comments:

Vesper said...

Awww, thats awesome : )

Sandra said...

It is and hopefully hubby sticks to it. It'd be vital for Yukons recovery.