Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Begleithundeprüfung (BH) & Liabilty Insurance

When you take the BH in Germany your dog has to be at least 15 months old, you have to take a written examination and you've got to have a dog liability insurance. I've been looking around and wondered if there is anything like that in the US. I know they have the BH in the States but I couldn't find any Insurance Company that offers dog liability insurances. I was told that it usually is covered via renters or homeowners insurance but that sure doesn't satisfy me.
I think there is a huge difference between dog liability in the US and Germany. In Germany you just have to have it. It's not because your dog is aggressive or a biter but because it is a legal matter. If you want to become a member of a dog club you have to prove that your dog is insured. If you want to take the BH you have to prove that you have a liability insurance for your dog.

A friend said I should simply get renters insurance and make sure that dogs are included but should not specifically tell them that I have a dog because they'd get suspicious and probably think that my dog is aggressive and a biter. Just great... all I want is a liability insurance once we move to the States. I always had one and don't want to go without it. It's not because my dog is aggressive. Think about it, you are at a friends place, she says "Sure bring your dog." and she's got a very expensive vase. Let's say a vase that is worth 50 000 USD and your dog breaks it. That is when liability kicks in and you don't want your dog to break anything expensive without being insured.

I never had that case but you just never know...

So maybe anyone out there can help me out on this one.

3 comments:

Anne said...

Most animals are taken care under the owner/renter insurance.(I know we had our under USAA, and they didn't give me any trouble, they didn't even ask what kind of dog it was, so I don't know..) If you want extra insurance, why don't you just keep your german one and tell them that you need it in the States, normally it shouldn't matter where you are as long as you pay right? just a thought! I know my mother always travel with her liability insurance in the States, and she get coverage no matter what, so maybe you should check that out.

Sandra said...

That is the problem you can't take them with you. Well there are some insurances that you can take with you for one or two years. But I'd have to check into that more.

Thanks for the info though. I'll check with USAA.

Anonymous said...

I would read the fine print on the home owners/renters insurance. Even though they cover dogs, there are certain types of dogs that are excluded from certain insurances. Like Rottweilers, etc. and I think I ran into some that didn't cover german sheperds.
So don't automatically think your dog is covered under renters insurance, make sure!