Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Dog (Common) Sense

One thing I have noticed in the past weeks is that there are more and more topics popping up about aggressive puppies. 

"Help, my 13 week old puppy is highly aggressive, it's biting, growling and scratching me."

NO, your puppy is not aggressive, it's a puppy being a puppy. It's a normal thing, how in the world could you mistake that over aggressive behavior? Why do you think it's aggressive behavior? Have you never seen puppies play in your entire life? Have you never picked up a book on puppies before you went to the next pet store and bought your wife one for Christmas? 

Personally, I am getting so fed up over people that just don't have any kind or form of common dog sense anymore. It's like dog sense has completely vanished and vaporized from today's society and instead dogs and puppies are completely humanized. Human standard is put on dogs and puppies and dogs every single day. A dog can no longer be a dog.

"How can I get my half year old dog to be more aggressive to guard my house. He is an outside dog."

"Why is my eight week old puppy hiding between my legs when I take it to the dog park?"

"Why is my puppy biting my legs?"

"I picked up a stick and beat my one year old dog to see how hard he is and now he's scared, why?"

"Is my puppy a mix? His ears are not up, he's three months old, what do I do?"

Seriously? Really? How about you go to the next book store and pick up a book about German Shepherds and educate yourself before you go out and buy a puppy. 

Ears go up over time, they are born floppy eared and blind by the way. 
You don't beat your dog with a stick just to see if he can take it. Your puppy will chew shoes, go for your pants, you will have scratches and little puppy love marks. A half year old dog will not protect your house, it's a puppy. It's like handing a knife to a 13 year old and expecting him to protect you from intruders. Also, if you want your dog to guard your house, keep him in the house and not in the backyard!

Go, sign up for obedience classes, get your puppies shots, avoid dog parks at all costs. You don't socialize a puppy in a dog park and please, please, please... general public, just grow some dog sense, will ya?

3 comments:

JessH said...

Love it. Wish I could share it on Facebook but no link :(

Sandra said...

Fixed it :)

Karrie said...

I totally understand where you are coming from with this but it doesn't really surprise me that people are that way with their dogs since it seems like they are worse with children now. Everyone wants things to be easy and a pup is easy as long as you never take your eyes off of them! LOL!