Thursday, September 20, 2012

It's been almost two years...

It has been almost two years that we moved here. It's been almost a year that my husband deployed. The last two years have been quite a ride and I have made many new experiences, mostly good ones. 

One thing I came to find is that a lot of things are not as bad as the news portrays them. It may sound ridiculous but the biggest fear I had and still have is the polices attitude towards dogs. I seriously believed, and I still worry, that some day a police officer could come to our house, encounter barking dogs at the door, kick the door in and shoot the dogs. 
You read it all the time on the news how police officers shoot dogs and therefor, that's my biggest fear. I know, what are the odd's, what's the chance that it could ever happen to us. 
However, I do take it serious enough that I called a friend, when I had EMS to come out to get me to the Hospital because, once again, my back went out and I couldn't manage to drive myself to the ER or lock the dogs up. 
If EMS had knocked at the door, and three GSD's barked at them, they would have never entered the "scene" until it was "safe" which would have resulted to call the police in and nobody knows what they had done, so my friend came out, put the dogs up and unlocked the front door so EMS could enter. 
Other than this ridiculous fear I love the States. I like the opportunities you have over here and there are plenty of them. I graduated from the SAR Academy, joined a Rescue Squad and enrolled in an EMT Class which is paid for by the county, since I am in a Squad. Once I pass the class and hold that Certificate in my hand, the county will be reimbursed by the state. It's a great perk for the time you volunteer and a great way from the county to acknowledge it's Volunteers.

I love the country side. While Watertown is depressing, the State of NY itself is beautiful and I love to go out to see the beauty of it. 
A friend of mine and I went on a lot of small trips and enjoyed the beautiful scenery of northern/upstate NY and there is so much to see. The Black River, Grass River, Thousand Islands, Salmon Falls, Adirondacks, Tug Hill... so many things to see and so little time.

However, I am nowhere near done exploring this area, and I want to see everything I possibly can, so I am pretty sure there is another trip in the foreseeable future.
One thing I haven't done yet, is crossing the border to Canada. That's one thing on my list and maybe I am waiting for my husband to come back first. Staying busy, is a good thing though because it keeps my mind off of the separation issues.

I can't believe that I already have to apply for the ten year greencard. It's crazy how fast time goes by. It's as if I moved here yesterday... so far it has been a great experience and I am looking forward to many more years.

No comments: