Friday, November 11, 2011

The Attack of the Shepherd

My friend from Dogs for Defense came out to last weeks SAR training. The training itself didn't go as well as I thought it would. We reached a point where we definitely have to get more into the technical stuff. She knows how to search and she's good at it now it's me that has to step up to the plate and improve my search tactics but that is part of learning and the training.

Anyhow, after the training we had the dogs running together. My four and her Maliniois. Her brave husband was halfway down the field, she got Ronja ready and then he ran and she let go off her. Of course not only Ronja but all five of them chased him down the field. 

That being said, every single dog on that field has been worked in bitework and sadly a lot of people believe that dogs, that have been worked on a sleeve are evil attack dogs chasing running kids and people to attack which is just not the truth. A sound dog, with stable temperament an rock solid nerves, will not chase a running person and attack, no matter if it is a small kid or a full grown adult. 
A solid dog knows the difference between a friendly chase and a threat. 
When I was on the search in Rochester a guy from another team asked if my new dog was worked on the sleeve and I said "Yes, of course." and he was like "I disagree with that, aren't you scared that the dog attacks a running person?" 

Sadly, so many people have a misconception about Bitework and Schutzhund. For my dogs it's a game. It's not real. They are primarily worked in prey and not in defense. 

Anyhow, if you think that dogs that have been worked on a sleeve are evil attack dogs and will chase down any running person to take them down....watch and learn because it couldn't be further from the truth.

No comments: